Lake Jackson Occupational License Attorney
Help Getting Back On the Road
If your driver's license has been suspended for any reason in Texas, we understand the concern you may be feeling. Our team at JM Davis Law PLLC can represent you n helping you obtain an occupational license-or "essential needs license"-which will allow you to drive and work for essential household functions. Speak with a Lake Jackson criminal defense attorney from our office as soon as possible for information about obtaining an occupational license.
Reasons for Driver's License Suspensions
Some causes for license suspension in Texas include:
- Driving while intoxicated (DWI) / under the influence (DUI)
- Multiple traffic tickets / violations
- Charges of driving without insurance
- Enhanced charges following charges of driving with a suspended license
- Drug-related driver's license suspension
- A criminal conviction
- Failure to maintain financial responsibility
- Suspension based on judgment issues
Our lawyer can pursue your occupational license by petitioning the court and suing the Department of Public Safety. There is no deadline for pursuing an occupational license. No matter when the infraction or issue that caused your license suspension occurred, our team can pursue legal driving privileges on your behalf.
How Do I Petition for an Occupational License in Texas?
If you have not received an occupational driver's license in the last 10 years, you have the right to file at any time. You must explain your "essential need" in the petition. File it with the county or district court where you live or in the court of the original jurisdiction where the offense occurred. You must include all required items, including a Financial Responsibility Certificate (SR-22) and associated fees, including an occupational license fees and a reinstatement fee, in your submission to the Department of Public Safety (DPS). While you are waiting, you can use the court order for 30 days from the date of the judge's signature as you wait for your occupational license to be processed.
Occupational License Waiting Periods
Certain offenses make an individual ineligible to receive an occupational driver's license under Texas law, and other individuals who have license suspensions are required to wait certain time periods before they can receive an occupational driver's license. According to Tex. Transp. Code Ann. § 521.251, individuals must wait the following time periods before they can apply for or receive an occupational license:
- An individual who has received an administrative license suspension and who has not had any previous license suspensions for alcohol-related contact with law enforcement within the preceding five years can receive the occupational driver's license immediately once granted by the court;
- An individual who has received a license suspension within the five preceding years for alcohol-related contact with law enforcement must wait 90 days after the effective date of the driver's license suspension;
- An individual has been convicted of a DWI offense within the preceding five years must wait 180 days after the effective date of the driver's license suspension; and
- An individual has been convicted of two or more DWI offenses within the preceding five years must wait one year after the effective date of the license suspension.
For more information, contact JM Davis Law PLLC at (855) 390-0455 for a free consultation with our Houston license suspension lawyer.